This is our modern day baby book! It is our prayer that years from now, Zeke and Adalynn will look back at the details of this blog and understand just how much we looked forward to meeting them and love them!







Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Lily Faith is here!!


Waiting for our gift

Well, I am so excited to finally get to write the post telling you all about Lily Faith's arrival into this world!  I'll go back a bit.  We reached my due date on May 14th as you read in the last post.  Gregg was officially off work and we knew it would be any day, but also knew it could be up to 2 weeks.

My midwives were okay with me going to 42 weeks as long as Lily Faith continued to do well on the bi-weekly non-stress tests.  Every time I went for an NST, she did "perfectly!"  During this waiting time, though, there was a day where the test was not "normal."  They like to see accelerations in heart rate repeatedly during the time I'm hooked up to the monitor.  She was keeping a steady heart rate.  They said I'd have to stay hooked up to the monitor longer, and if we didn't see some accelerations, they'd do an ultrasound.  I called Gregg and asked him to pray.  He and the kids prayed and read Luke 11 together (after the Lord's prayer) where Jesus taught about persistence in prayer.

v.9, "And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened." 

They prayed and her heart rate started accelerating just like it was supposed to...a miracle!  I'd been in Psalms in my chronological Bible and that day I read Psalm 145.  Verse 4, "Let each generation tell its children of Your mighty acts; let them proclaim Your power."  God brought it to life right before our eyes.  Zeke and Adalynn got to see His mighty acts and, therefore, proclaim His power!!

We tried to stay close to home and stay busy as we waited.  I tried to walk daily and I continued to workout.  I actually did T25 alpha cardio the day she was born!  I thought the bouncing movement might help...I guess it did!  I sat on the ball a lot for comfort and because I'd read that helped encourage labor.  We ate Chinese food and Mexican food too!  An unexpected blessing was the gift of 9 days together as a family before we met our girl.  Gregg was already off work and we just didn't know when I'd go into labor, so it seemed silly for him to go back.  I cherish those days we had together as we waited!

Gregg training for his hunt this fall, so the kids wore backpacks too!


Having fun playing with "crazy sand"

Sitting on the ball!!

Not the most attractive picture, but it's after I worked out the morning of her birth!

Creative fun!

Birthday

On Monday, May 23, 2016, as I mentioned above, I worked out, then showered and got ready for my midwife appointment.  I went for the non-stress test and it was perfect!  The midwife, Nita, checked me and I was about 4-5 cm dilated and 50% effaced.  She stripped my membranes (procedure they do to help encourage labor) and we continued to wait.  I came home and had lunch and took a nap.  I was having a lot of pressure and crampiness along with Braxton Hicks contractions.  I didn't feel like eating a full dinner, so I drank Shakeology instead.  I knew that would give me energy, but not be heavy on my stomach if I did go into labor.  My contractions started to pick up and become more intense.  I called Sheeba and told her I needed her to be on call.  Then, I texted her at 7pm and said I needed them to come.

When they arrived, I went into our bedroom and continued to have contractions (timing them with an app).  I asked Sheeba and Nikita to come in and pray with me.  We prayed, listened to praise music, and chatted.  It was a time I'll always cherish.  They prayed me through the harder contractions.  Finally, we agreed it was time for Gregg and me to head to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at 9pm.  I went in to check-in while Gregg parked.  They wheeled me up to the triage room.  This is the room where they check to make sure you're really in labor before they put you in a room for delivery.  They hooked me up to the monitors and took blood.  Our nurse checked me and I was 8-9 cm according to her.  She was getting ready to put an IV in me when I had a contraction and she got a call from the doctor on call.  He was watching on the monitor out of the room and saw how quickly my contractions were coming and that Lily Faith's heart rate was dropping slightly.  He told her to get an IV in to administer fluids to SLOW the contractions down..what?!!  I heard this and almost cried, but God is SO faithful.  

Right as she said this, our midwife, Ashley Wilson, walked in the room and said with great confidence, "Are you ready to have this baby?"  I said yes and she asked what position I wanted to be in.  I only felt comfortable on all fours, so I asked if I could do that.  She said yes, and I sat up and got to take all the monitors off of me.  Another midwife, Jill Jernigan, who was training came in to "catch" Lily Faith!  I looked over at Gregg and asked if he was okay.  Later, we laughed about the fact that I was worried about him during that moment.  I started pushing and Lily Faith was born about 3 minutes later at 9:56pm!!  She was 7 pounds, 9 ounces, 19 inches long and just perfect!!  They flipped me over so I could deliver the placenta and nurse Lily Faith.  They waited until the umbilical cord stopped pulsing and clamped it.  

Gregg and I just sat in awe of God.  We'd asked for a safe, unmedicated delivery, and He gave us one above what we could have asked or imagined (Ephesians 3:20-21).  Most importantly, He gave us a perfect baby girl!!

You might remember, Sheeba heard from God when she was in Israel that Lily Faith was going to bring peace.  Wow, has she!  Our family feels complete and she is such a gift to us...our peace child!

"All your children shall be taught by the Lordand great shall be the peace of your children." Isaiah 54:13


Shortly after birth on the warming table

Cuddled up with Mommy after she was born

Sheeba and Nikita came up to the hospital that night after Lily Faith was born.  They prayed over her.  God brought Malachi 3:16 to mind as Sheeba prayed, "Then those who feared the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the Lord and esteemed his name."   Verse 17 begins by saying, “They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, 'On the day when I make them my jewels,'"  


Sheeba reminded us that God is the author of Lily Faith's life story...what a privilege that she is His...His jewel!  


Special Note: I want to take a second to thank Cherian, Sheeba, Joshua, and Nikita for all they did to help us.  We can never truly express our thanks.  They have walked alongside us through prayer and support since we found out I was expecting her.  They were "on call" for over a month, not knowing when I'd go into labor.  They cleared their schedule and made sure they were available to us.  It was a true sacrifice that we appreciate ever so much.  They were there for Zeke and Adalynn while we were gone that first night, giving them amazing care.  

I want to thank my mom.  She came and took over caring for all 5 of us!!  She sacrificed so much as well.  She cared for Zeke and Adalynn, loved on them, kept them busy, rocked Lily Faith, walked with her when she needed consoling, fixed meals and made bread (lots of baking!), did laundry (lots of laundry!), went swimming with the kids, ran errands, and the list goes on. She was also on call, not knowing when she'd need to drive down here.  She has taught me how to serve in the name of Jesus over the years and she was a true picture of that this week!


Being soothed by Mommy's touch

About an hour old!

Tiny hands!


Hospital Stay

We stayed in the hospital 2 nights.  Gregg and I were thankful to have the time together to get to know Lily Faith, be cared for by the amazing hospital workers, and have a few visitors!  

Our nurse, Emily, was with us for labor through the first night and the second night as well.  Emma was Lily Faith's nurse both of those nights.  Then, we had several other wonderful nurses.  I can't express how grateful I was for our midwives and their quick action.  

Jill was in training to be a midwife and needed 40 births to complete her training.  Lily Faith was number 34 for her!  After Lily Faith was born, she came in while we were at the hospital to present us with a special gift!  She explained to us that she attended Frontier Nursing University for midwifery.  It was founded by Mary Breckenridge who traveled to Great Britain to train to be a midwife and returned to rural Kentucky to open a midwifery clinic in 1925.  The midwives would travel by horseback to deliver babies and give prenatal care to women.  The University opened in 1939 to train more midwives.  Today, the students travel to Kentucky once a year and stay in the old hospital, which is now used as dorms.  They do most of their studies online and through hands on training near where they live.  There is a group of older women who knit baby caps for the midwives in training.  Each midwife gets one cap to give to the baby of their choice...one that was special to them in some way.  Jill presented it to Lily Faith!  She said she really felt like a midwife for the first time with our delivery.  She felt the confidence that "she could do this!"  We were so incredibly honored.  You'll see Jill (dark hair) in the picture below and Lily Faith in the precious cap!    




"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." Psalm 16:11


We were thrilled for all four of the Cherians to visit us in the hospital too.  Sheeba and Nikita had met Lily Faith that first night, but Cherian and Joshua were able to come meet her too.  It was love at first sight!

Cuddling with Cherian

Sweetness with Joshua

Playing a game with Joshua already!


  
Loved by Sheeba




With beautiful, Nikita



We enjoyed loving on our girl and caring for her still under the care of the nurses and midwives.  Wynna also had the chance to come meet her before she headed to our house to take over for the Cherians.  



Matching outfits!




Meeting Wynna for the first time

Heading Home

The morning of May 25 we were able to head home.  We waited for Ashley and Jill to discharge me and for Dr. Peters to discharge Lily Faith.  Gregg loaded up the truck with all of our stuff (I brought too much!).  We took a few more pictures and they wheeled me to the car.

I put her in the going home shirt my mom used with me!

All wrapped and cozy, ready to go home

Ready to go!


Meeting Zeke and Adalynn

We arrived home and Zeke and Adalynn were at the door, ready to meet their sweet sister.  It was such a precious moment!






Looking Forward

We can't wait to see what God has for Lily Faith's life.  We've truly enjoyed this first week of her life.  I'll post more on that later!  She is a blessing and a gift and we thank God for her and for all of your prayers!!


No comments:

Post a Comment