This is our modern day baby book! It is our prayer that years from now, Zeke and Adalynn will look back at the details of this blog and understand just how much we looked forward to meeting them and love them!







Saturday, November 2, 2013

Baby gator and police man

It is November 2, 2013 and I put the kids in their "Halloween" costumes today!  We didn't do anything on the 31st and actually didn't have ANY trick or treaters come to our home.  Apparently, we live "out in the country!"  That is okay with Gregg because he gets to eat the candy!



This year we continued to wrestle with the idea of celebrating Halloween.  We don't like the history behind it, yet we know that is not what most families in our culture are celebrating.  We also don't want to just go along with the masses because "everybody is doing it."  We want to be intentional about how we raise our children.  We do not serve sugary candy to them, so we also have a hard time getting them all dressed up to go to other people's doors to ask for it!

My friend Sara, wrote a thoughtful post on the subject: I'm Struggling with Halloween this Year

A good friend and I had a conversation about this recently.  She reminded me that we do not have to make a decision for the rest of their lives.  We can take it a year at a time.  In her neighborhood, they feel like they would be alienating themselves from their neighbors that do not know the Lord if they didn't participate in some small way.  They do not wear any costumes rooted in witch craft (devils, witches, ghosts, etc.), but do dress up and socialize with their neighbors.  In Americus, families generally go to the historical part of town where the houses all look a little spooky (in my opinion).  Our neighbors are mostly older couples, so it is not really an issue here.  

Hopefully we will find a new church home soon.  Many churches have fall festivals, trunk or treat, etc., so that might be an option to allow our kids to wear costumes.  As my mom reminded me, I used to start planning my costume for the following year the day after Halloween.  I just liked to dress up for fun (maybe that's why I became a ballerina)!




I'd like to create a dress up bin for the kids (like Sara mentioned in her post).  Why not dress up randomly throughout the year?!!

If you are reading this and you take your children trick or treating, please do not feel judged by me (us).  We support your decision and honestly feel torn about ours.  However, Gregg and I still do not feel peace from the Lord about taking the kids trick or treating quite yet.

Now for a little fun.  Here is a little comparison of Zeke and Adalynn in the gator costume as infants:


Now we get to look forward to giving thanks and celebrating Jesus' birth.  Happy fall and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment