This is our modern day baby book! It is our prayer that years from now, Zeke and Adalynn will look back at the details of this blog and understand just how much we looked forward to meeting them and love them!







Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The year of your birth...2010

Zeke,
I wanted to record some of the events and things that happened during the year of your birth, 2010. Of course, Daddy and my biggest event was your arrival on January 19th! 



Barack Obama is President.  Here are some of the news stories from the year:



Gulf oil spill: On April 20th, an explosion at a BP oil rig caused a leak of over 170 million gallons of oil into the gulf of Mexico.

Haiti earthquake: There was a massive earthquake in Haiti on January 12th that killed over 230,000 people and left millions homeless.

Chile mine rescue: Thirty-three Chilean miners were trapped half a mile under ground for 69 days, but were freed on August 5th (Granddaddy's birthday!)

Iraq: U.S. forces ended combat roles and planned their withdrawl.

Afghanistan: President Obama ordered a troop surge in this almost 10-year old war.

Here are some of the entertainment stories that made headlines:
  • Betty White (88 years old) was entertainer of the year
  • Mark Zuckerberg was the Time person of the year (he's the creator of Facebook)
  • Prince William (future king of England) and Kate Middleton got engaged
  • The Florida gators head coach, Urban Meyer, left after a disappointing season (this was big news in our home!)

Technology: This seems to be yet another year full of improvements in technology.  Everything is becoming faster and easier to use.  Mac made the iphone 4, which Wynna and I just got.  It has the capability to do "Facetime," so when we move away, we'll be able to see Wynna face to face through my phone!  Mac also came out with the ipad this year, and Wynna gave it to Grandaddy for Christmas.  I can easily digitally record you (still and motion), then edit it on my computer.  I have a lot of fun catching you in action!  I wonder what new technologies will have been invented when you read this blog.  It's hard to imagine how technology could improve any more! 

Social media seems to consume us all.  We use Facebook to communicate with friends and family.  It is a great way to keep in touch, share pictures, and share ideas.  Daddy doesn't have a Facebook account.  He's so busy with work that he wants to spend his time on the computer reading about Gator football, hunting, and guns!  Daddy and I love to watch The Office and Modern Family together on Wednesday and Thursday nights.  We haven't seen any movies in the theatre this year because we didn't want to leave you, but that's okay...you're worth it!  Glee is a new show I really like about a high school show choir.  I also still enjoy "Dancing With the Stars" and "So You Think You Can Dance."  Daddy calls them my "dancing shows," and would rather watch football!  Maybe you two boys will enjoy watching football together some day!

Religion: I am so thankful to have grown up going to church and hearing God's truth on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, it seems as though our nation is moving away from being "One Nation Under God."  According to an ARIS (American Religious Identification Survey) study in 2001, "The proportion of the [American] population that can be classified as Christian has declined from 86% in 1990 to 77% in 2001."  It feels to me as though morality in general is declining too.  As Wynna has said, "What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace."  That doesn't mean God is not still reigning on His throne.  He is working all over the world, and that will never change.  When I think about the future of our culture, I sometimes become afraid for you.  However, I must remind myself that God says in His word not to worry, and I know He is in control of all things. Philippians 4:6 says, "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all He has done."



So, as I reflect on the year 2010 and think about your future, I pray you will come to know Jesus one day and be able to thank Him for all He has done.  We are so thankful for you!

I love you!
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment